Cootamundra Tourism Directory
Tours and Adventures
Showing 1 Categories
Do you like the Tourism Industry in Cootamundra?
Tourist Attractions in and Around Cootamundra, New South Wales, Australia
Cootamundra, a charming town in the Riverina region of New South Wales, Australia, is a popular tourist destination due to its rich history, natural beauty, and cultural offerings. The town is located approximately 380 kilometers southwest of Sydney and 115 kilometers northwest of Wagga Wagga. Here are some of the major tourist attractions in and around Cootamundra:
1. Cootamundra Heritage Centre - Located in Parker St. in Cootamundra, this center celebrates the town's history and showcases its heritage, including exhibitions on railway history, Sir Donald Bradman, Loco Round House, and much more. Visitors can learn about the town's pioneering past, and also enjoy the lovely gardens surrounding the Heritage Centre.
2. Sir Donald Bradman Birthplace Museum - This museum, located at 89 Adams St., offers visitors a glimpse into the early life of Sir Don Bradman, undoubtedly one of Australia's greatest sporting heroes. The museum houses a collection of memorabilia, multimedia displays, and artifacts that capture the spirit of the legendary Australian cricketer.
3. The Arts Centre Cootamundra - The Arts Centre, located in Wallendoon St., offers a range of visual arts and cultural events. Visitors can enjoy a wide variety of performances, shows, workshops, and exhibitions throughout the year. The center is a hub for the local arts community, as well as a venue for regional and national art events.
4. Bethungra Spiral Lookout - Located on the Olympic Way between Cootamundra and Junee, this lookout provides a breathtaking view of the Bethungra Spiral, a railway engineering feat that is over 100 years old. The spiral is an engineering marvel designed to conquer the steep inclines of the area's terrain, and the lookout provides a glimpse into this unique piece of Australian railway history.
5. Cootamundra Wattle Time Fair - One of the town's most popular annual events, the fair takes place during August-September when the iconic Cootamundra Wattle is in bloom. The fair celebrates the coming of spring, and visitors can enjoy carnival games, live entertainment, craft markets, food stalls, and much more.
6. Wallendbeen Markets - Located about 20 minutes' drive from Cootamundra, Wallendbeen Markets is a must-see destination for any visitor. These markets, held on the third Sunday of every month, offer a delightful array of local produce, crafts, and farm animals. Visitors can look out for unique handmade crafts, sample local cuisine, or even take a horse ride.
7. Tumut River - Tumut River, located about 40 minutes from Cootamundra, offers visitors a serene getaway from the hustle and bustle of city life. The river is popular for swimming, fishing, and canoeing, and visitors can enjoy a picnic on its banks. The picturesque scenery and tranquil atmosphere make it a must-visit destination.
- Cootamundra Heritage Centre: +61 2 6942 1400
- Sir Donald Bradman Birthplace Museum: +61 428 425 012
- The Arts Centre Cootamundra: +61 2 6942 4773
- Bethungra Spiral Lookout: No contact details available
- Cootamundra Wattle Time Fair: No contact details available
- Wallendbeen Markets: No contact details available
- Tumut River: No contact details available
Cootamundra is an excellent destination for anyone looking for a mix of history, culture and natural beauty. The town and its surroundings offer a range of tourist attractions that cater to every interest, and visitors to Cootamundra are guaranteed to have a delightful experience.
Cootamundra Tourism Articles